According to Harvard Business Review, hiring the wrong person can result in astronomical costs for your company, not to mention that 80% of the turnover is due to these poor hiring practices. It is critical to find applicants who can function independently and produce high-level deliverables. That’s why it is imperative to have a proven rigorous recruiting process that eliminates unqualified applicants and leaves you with only the best candidate for the job. Then, ensure you have a plan to retain them!
DataCeutics, a Functional Service Provider of SAS Programmers, has a proven process for hiring quality staff that results in good retention. Many of DataCeutics’ employees have been with us for over 10 years with two members celebrating 23 years with the company. We’ve listed the process of our best practices:
- Have an internal recruiting team that understands your business and your company’s culture.
- Retain supplemental recruiting firms who have proven to understand your standards and requirements for new hires.
- Review resumes for grammar and spelling errors as if found in the resume they are usually also found in the work performed.
- Speak with every candidate. The more specific the questions, the better you’ll understand if the candidate has the technical experience required.
- Use an online system to capture the application information; i.e. basic testing information, resume and general qualification questions for easy reference and assessment.
- Require candidates’ applications to include past work history, education and references giving you the bigger picture.
- Perform a County and Statewide Criminal Record Searches.
- Have applicants write an essay so that their communication’s skill can be reviewed.
- Require specialty testing. We conduct SAS testing, asking some basic SAS questions and then some clinical questions. As well, the applicant’s familiarity with CDISC standards is discussed followed by preparing a report using basic SAS code. Neatness, readability and the aptitude to follow instructions are assessed.
The entire recruiting process takes approximately 2 weeks per applicant. Our goal is to employ and retain highly educated and technically skilled programmers who like working for customers counting on them to deliver excellent work product. Our retention rate of 94% says something about our best practice in recruiting. This process has now been in effect for ten years, and it is a proven success.
We’ve hired them but how do we keep them?
Remote workers appreciate flexibility of work hours, savings in travel time and costs, as well have more time to be productive doing what they do best, programming. Remote workers gain 15 to 25 more workdays that would otherwise had been spent on commuting.
Competitive salaries, a 401k matching plan, spot recognition bonuses as well as medical and dental benefits gets the attention of smart business people.
Letting workers know that you believe in promoting from within keeps workers focused on working harder and smarter so that your vision for growth matches their own vision for personal growth.
Keep an eye on your employee turnover rate (ours is 6% while some of our competitors experience a 20–50% loss yearly). Conduct yearly assessments using employee satisfaction surveys (our satisfaction report) to ensure your retention rate stays healthy. Employees want to work for smart companies who keep an eye on productivity and employee satisfaction.